Sunday, January 31, 2016

Mila's Blessing Gown

During Christmas break, I asked Vanessa if she would like me to make a blessing gown for Mila. I was thrilled when she responded with a yes! I asked her to think about patterns and fabrics, and then we would go shopping for the things I would need.

I received this picture from Vanessa soon afterward, asking if this would be possible for me to make.
Found on Etsy, it was darling but very pricey. (As a seamstress myself, I understand that price. Having said that, I would not pay that much for a dress.)

I was on winter vacation, so one afternoon we met at JoAnn's and sat down at the pattern desk to see if we could find a similar pattern.
Sharp-eyed Vanessa found the very pattern the Etsy sewer used!  Then we struck gold when buying fabric - Vanessa wanted dotted swiss, and there was just enough left on the bolt to make the dress. Better yet, since it was the end of the bolt, I got it for 80% off. Total cost of the dress was $23. Not bad!
 Because Vanessa wanted a full length dress, I had to lengthen the pattern pieces.
 All cut out and ready to sew.

School began January 4, the day Mila made her arrival. Time was no longer my own, and Saturdays became my only day to sew.
 I got the bodice (sans sleeves) done the first Saturday.
 The following Saturday I added the sleeves and the skirt lining. (The skirt looks longer on the left, but it isn't. The back of the dress was open and it was sagging a bit on the hanger.)
The skirt is gathered, and when you are sewing something that tiny, it is very easy to catch the gathers and the skirt in places they should not be stitched. The solution is to pin frequently and carefully, checking both sides of the fabric to make sure you have not caught unwanted material into the gathers. It is time consuming, but much better than having to go back and rip out a seam (which can damage the fabric) and resew it.
Last Saturday's work.

This weekend, all I needed to do was to put in the zipper, make the bow, and tack it to the bodice.
 A closeup of the bow.
The finished dress! I may put a hook and eye at the top of the zipper, but will check with Vanessa first.

Next Sunday is Mila's blessing day, and I can hardly wait to see how she looks in her new dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment